Thursday 19 March 2015

So how's this for new learning - my washing machine wouldn't fill, so I looked up the model in Google and found a Youtube video demonstrating how to test the cold water valve, then how to replace it. I ordered the valve from BigWarehouse Spares and it came during the week - $36! It's now Friday night and I put the new valve in! Bingo! But deeper learning was to occur..........the new valve had no washer/seal thingy! So water abundant in laundry....then I accessed my prior knowledge about electricity and water, and blew dry the mechanism before putting the old washer/seal thingy on the new valve. Bingo again! Washing machine threshing around, and me thanking the digital repository of knowledge.


Making the use of technology real - you bet
Doing normal everyday things - yes
Saving myself money - absolutely
Upscaling to become my own washing machine mechanic - we'll see if the handiwork lasts, not prepared to make a career switch until 4 loads are done.

2 comments:

  1. How much of what we teach in classtime could be delivered like this? What skills would this be successful for and what wouldn't work?

    ReplyDelete