Saturday 21 March 2015


Watched Greg Whitby
DNA of teachers - I came to teaching from a background in health administration and office work, following the 1990s recession that we "had to have". I learned that it was necessary to change so I was able to gain employment. I am not sure if this means that I have a hybrid DNA, as I have long felt that I teach differently to other teachers.  Children have the right to learn how to do things themselves, and sometimes part of teaching is letting them do that, rather than getting caught up in what they must do within the curriculum or what they must do to show that the teacher has done their job.


I would say that the most confronting thing for leaders is that all the professional reading doesn't give them a road map, scaffold or framework to follow. I sat at a PD for application writing last week and was curious to hear people ask for copies of a good CV and key selection criteria, because they wanted something to follow. Even down to the application for leadership positions, leaders must trust themselves and be visionaries, taking steps forward without a framework to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Or...perhaps be willing to create their own framework?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's what I was thinking Nikki - creating it based on good evidence and taking that leap of faith. I'm chewing over the big question at the moment, but it is really about making links between the use of technology and achieving curriculum outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The BIG Question
    thinking about my big question - what if I focussed on how to lead digital learning in the early years???? If I can clearly document and show that it works and improves outcomes that might generate some good evidence for change at upper school level.

    ReplyDelete